Grant me Patience - Please!

I am being tested. I am being tested for my patience and that has never been one of my best features. I have always wanted quick, sudden results. Whether it’s to lose weight, get in shape, plan an event, finish a project, or get an answer from someone. I want results now.  
Jim and I have a new family member. Ti short for Tiberius, a rescued red Doberman, who is not quite two. I have had three Dobies in my life so I knew what I was getting into but you forget how much energy a young Doberman, who is still a puppy, has every day. He is learning but each day my patience is tested.  


More often than not I have to dig deep to find patience with myself to stay on track with projects that I am working on or goals that I want to achieve. I will beat myself up for not being good enough or reaching the goal I set within a certain period of time. But I also need tolerance with coworkers, lines at the grocery store, driving in southwest Florida during season, and a multitude of small but annoying things that happen on a daily basis.  

Over a lifetime of being tested on patience I have had moments of achieving great undertakings with myself and others. I have accomplished grand things when I am patient. I have found that good things come if I can wait, or tolerate delays and problems. It has helped me to climb mountains, run great distance, achieve career heights and enjoy many wonderful personal moments. The flip side when I am not patient is frustration, irritation, missed opportunities, and stress. 
So is patience a virtue? I believe it is and it’s a lesson worth learning. In our world today of instant gratification, the courage and resilience to wait for the good to come in time is almost nonexistent. The lack of tolerance or being impatient because someone is slow, opinionated, stubborn, or arrogant will lead to judgment and anger. This, more often or not, leads to a break down in relationships. The lesson of being understanding and charitable by showing patience is tough. Being intolerant can easily fall into the path of being judgmental, critical, selfish, and lazy.  

Finding patience will help you to avoid making impulsive decisions. It will also help with the urges of feeling greedy and selfish. Developing patience will affect your attitude with others and give you more joy in life and reduce your stress. It will give you self-control and give you a sense of calmness. Finding tolerance within yourself and in others will give you a sense of self-appreciation and enjoy what you have right now. It teaches you that you are not in control of the world and you don’t have to be the driving force of all that is around you. So work on your patience and see the remarkable results you will find over time.




"Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting."


Joyce Meyer





"I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures."

Lao Tzu



Comments